Walnut Streusel Muffins
- Yield 18 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 25 mins
- 3 cups flour
- 1-1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon each nutmeg and ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon each baking soda and salt
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 2 -- eggs, beaten
In mixing bowl combine 2 cups of the flour and the sugar; cut in butter to form fine crumbs.
Measure ¾ cup of the crumbs and combine with ¼ cup of the nuts; set aside.
To remaining crumb mixture add remaining flour, the baking powder, spices, soda, salt and remaining nuts. Combine buttermilk and eggs; stir into dry ingredients just to moisten.
Spoon into 18 greased or paper-lined 2 ¾-inch muffin cups, filling about 2/3 full. Top each with a generous spoonful of reserved crumb-nut mixture.
Bake in 350F oven 20 to 25 minutes until springy to the touch. Cool 10 minutes; loosen and remove from pan.