Walnut, Pear and Prosciutto Pizza
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 45 mins
This flavorful pizza is wonderful as an appetizer, for lunch or on a picnic; it can be served warm or at room temperature.
- 4 -- pears, firm but ripe, peeled, halved and cored
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 4 ounces creamy blue cheese, broken into small pieces
- 4 ounces prosciutto cut in thin strips
- 1 cup chopped California walnuts
- 1 -- pre-made pizza dough, prepared on a 14-inch pan or a cookie sheet
- Preheat the oven to the recommended temperature for your pizza dough.
- Slice the pear halves thinly. Melt the butter in a sauté pan or large skillet over moderate heat. Add the pears, stir and toss to coat with butter. Cook pears, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until slices have browned lightly, softened and have cooked down to about one-third of their original volume. Add the sherry and cook 2 minutes more, until mostly evaporated. Set pears aside off heat. Have the blue cheese, prosciutto and walnuts at hand.
- Spread the pears over the prepared dough, distribute the blue cheese and prosciutto over the pears and sprinkle the walnuts on top. Bake for 20-25 minutes (or the time recommended for your pizza dough) until the edges of the crust are crisp and browned. Remove from oven, cut into wedges or squares, and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Christian Masse of Allez in El Dorado, Calif.