Walnut-Dusted Oven-Baked Apples and Pears
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 30 mins
Baked apples and pears make a great fall or winter dessert.
Before spring fruit arrives in the market we rely on apples and pears for great fresh flavor. The honey and vanilla combines with the lemon juice to create a delicious sauce. Use all apples or all pears if necessary… it’s more important to choose ripe fruit and cook until tender rather than relying on cooking time alone.
- 1 1/2 pounds ripe apples; peeled, cored and quartered
- 1 1/2 pounds ripe pears; peeled, cored and quartered
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly butter a 9-inch (8-cup capacity) oval gratin baking dish. Add the apples, pears, cranberries, lemon juice, honey, and vanilla; mix well.
- Bake until the fruit is tender, can be 30 minutes or up to one hour.
- Sprinkle with walnuts and serve hot or at room temperature.
Recipe by Tina Salter.