Walnut “Cream” of Mushroom Soup
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 15 mins
Walnuts pureed with nonfat milk give this soup a thick, creamy consistency. Serve with a simple salad for a healthful, light meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms (combination of crimini, shitake and button mushrooms, sliced)
- 2/3 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 cup (14 ounces) regular strength chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dried
- 1 cup California walnuts
- 1/2 cup non-fat milk or plain soymilk
- -- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Heat oil in a 3-4 quart size saucepan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and shallots. Cook 5 minutes or until softened, stirring several times.
- Add broth and herbs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Place walnuts and milk in food processor or blender. Whirl until walnuts are completely blended with milk and nearly smooth. Stir into mushroom mixture. Simmer over medium-low heat stirring frequently until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes
- Serve with freshly cracked black pepper.