WAL-“NUTTY” CHOCOLATE BROWNIES
- Yield 16 servings
- Prep 25 mins
- Cook 40 mins
- 3 ounces squares unsweetened chocolate (3 squares)
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1-1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 -- eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup chopped California Walnuts, divided
- 1/2 cup pitted, chopped dates
- -- Chocolate Glaze (recipe follows)
In large bowl, heat chocolate and butter over low heat or in microwave on High 2 minutes or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely smooth; mix in sugar.
Whisk in eggs and vanilla until well blended.
In small bowl, combine flour and baking powder; stir into chocolate mixture. Mix in walnuts and dates.
Spread in greased 8-inch (20 cm) baking pan.
Bake at 350F (180C) 35-40 minutes or until skewer inserted in centre of brownies comes out nearly clean. Let cool in pan on rack.
Frost with Chocolate Glaze.
Combine 1 square (1 oz/30 g) unsweetened chocolate, melted with 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter and 1/4 cup (50 mL) milk. Blend until smooth.
Add 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) icing sugar; stir until combined. Spread over cooled brownies and sprinkle with 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped California Walnuts.