Wake-Up Potato and Ham Casserole
- Yield 8 servings
Thinly sliced Yukon Gold potatoes and deli ham make this brunch dish a snap.
- 3 large Yukon Gold potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced Black Forest ham
- 2 cups shredded Colby-Jack or Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 egg
- 8 egg whites
- 1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 chopped green onions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Preheat oven to 325F. Spray a 13 x 9-inch nonstick casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Arrange one-third of the sliced potatoes over bottom of pan. Layer 1/2 cup ham over potatoes and sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese over ham. Repeat layers twice.
- Whisk egg and egg whites in a medium bowl until well blended. Stir in milk, thyme, green onions, salt, pepper and mustard; mix well. Pour evenly over ham and cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake 1 hour and 40 minutes. Remove foil; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer, or until edges are golden and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
Recipe by Marsha Baker, Pioneer, Ohio.