- Yield 16 servings
The most difficult part of this cake is waiting to cut it, which gives it its name.
- 1 -- (18 1/4-ounce) box light yellow cake mix
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups light sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups frozen light whipped topping, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat two 9-inch round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray and dust with flour.
- Prepare the cake batter according to package directions, adding baking powder to batter. Pour batter into the cake pans and bake 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool on wire racks.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine sour cream, sugar and almond extract, blending well to make filling. Chill in refrigerator while cake is baking. When cake has cooled, split each layer in half with a serrated knife. Spread filling between layers, reserving 1 cup for frosting. Combine reserved filling with whipped topping, mixing until smooth. Spread on sides and top of cake. Seal cake in an airtight container or cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate 36 to 48 hours before serving.