Wacky Chocolate Cake
- Yield 9 servings
Wacky Cake is said to have its origins during World War II rationing, when milk and eggs were hard to come by. The cake was lower in fat and cholesterol, not by choice but by necessity.
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached pastry flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 5 teaspoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 cup cold water
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder in a bowl; stir with a fork until mixed. In a separate bowl, whisk the vanilla, applesauce, vinegar, and water. Pour the mixed wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir with a fork until well mixed.
- Pour into a 9-inch square baking dish and bake for 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Dr. Neal Barnard’s 21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart (Grand Central Life & Style, 2011).