Vinegary Braised Collard Greens
- Yield 4 to 6 servings
Collard greens take a quick dance in the sauté pan are are served up steaming hot with a splash of vinegar.
- 2 bunches collard greens, kale or Swiss chard, heavy stems removed, leaves washed well
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- -- Water
- -- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- If using collard greens, remove heavy stem from middle of each leaf and chop greens. If you are using chard or kale, you can leave stems intact.
- Heat oil in a nonreactive large saute pan and add onions. Saute over medium heat until softened; add chopped greens. Stir often and continue to cook greens 5 to 6 minutes until softened, adding a little water if needed to prevent sticking. Season with salt, pepper and vinegar; serve immediately.