Vietnamese Pickled Vegetables
- Yield 6 servings
These veggies are great over any grilled food (veggie burgers and tofu) or as a salad.
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 (4-inch) piece daikon (white radish), peeled and thinly sliced into matchsticks
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Put the carrots, daikons and onions in a heatproof small bowl. Sprinkle with salt and let sit 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring vinegar, sugar and water to a boil in a nonreactive saucepan.
- Rinse the salt from the vegetables, drain and return to the bowl. Add the boiling liquid to cover them. Let sit an hour or preferably refrigerate overnight. Store refrigerated. Makes 1 1/2 cups.