Vietnamese Cole Slaw with Ginger and Carrots
- Yield 8 servings
A great combination of flavors to complement any Asian-inspired menu.
- 6 cups finely shredded Napa cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 medium cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/3 cup fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons peanuts, toasted and chopped (optional)
- Place cabbage in a large mixing bowl. Add carrots, cucumber, mint and basil and gently toss.
- Combine ginger, vinegar, fish sauce, sugar and salt. Whisk until sugar melts. Drizzle over cabbage mixture. Toss well, making sure everything gets coated with the vinaigrette. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes. Just before serving, sprinkle with chopped peanuts if using.
Recipe by Maria C. Hunt, a food writer in San Diego, Calif.