Chicken Pho Vietnam
- Yield 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Five Spice powder
- 1 tablespoon bottled Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1 -- (48 oz.) box low sodium chicken broth
- 6 ounces dried udon or flat rice noodles
- 1 -- rotisserie chicken
- 8 ounces fresh bean sprouts
- 4 -- thinly sliced green onions
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1 -- lime, cut into thin wedges
- -- bottled Sweet Chili Sauce
Heat a Dutch Oven or soup kettle over medium heat. When hot, add sesame oil, onion, ginger and garlic; stir and cook until softened and fragrant, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in cilantro and basil and cook another minute. Add remaining soup ingredients; bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes.
While soup is simmering, cook noodles to al dente as directed on package (for ease of eating, break noodles into shorter pieces, if desired.) Drain in colander and flush well with cold water; set aside. Discard skin and bones from rotisserie chicken; remove and shred/chop meat and set aside.
Place accompaniment ingredients in small bowls on a large platter. Divide noodles into 6 serving bowls, top with chicken. Ladle hot soup mixture over chicken and noodles. Pass accompaniment platter to serve atop Pho bowls.
Makes 6 servings.