Vietnamese Chicken Sandwiches
- Yield servings
- Marinated Carrots
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar (not seasoned)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 -- carrots, peeled
- Chicken and Sandwiches
- 4 -- (6 ounces each) skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- -- ginger lime marinade: recipe follows, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup hot chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup regular or light mayonnaise
- 4 -- (6 inch long) pieces baguette or French rolls, split,
- -- some of centers removed, toasted
- 1 -- English cucumber, sliced into 6 inch long slices
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
1. For marinated carrots, whisk vinegar, sugar and salt in
medium bowl. Shave carrots into long thin strips with
vegetable peeler. Add to vinegar mixture; toss to coat.
Let stand while preparing sandwiches.
2. Place chicken thighs in plastic storage bag with
sealable top; add 1/3 cup of ginger-lime marinade and oil.
Press out air, seal bag and marinate for 30 minutes.
3. For dipping sauce, add chicken broth and brown sugar to
ginger-lime marinade remaining in bowl; mix well.
4. Heat broiler or stovetop grill pan over medium heat on
stove. Drain chicken; discard marinade. Broil chicken
thighs on rack of broiler pan or grill in stovetop grill
pan about 5 to 6 minutes per side, turning once, until
cooked through and thermometer registers 160.
5. Spread mayonnaise over cut sides of rolls. Layer on roll
bottoms the cucumber slices, onion slices, chicken thighs,
drained carrots and cilantro leaves. Add roll tops. Spoon
dipping sauce into individual bowls for dipping. Makes 4
Ginger Lime Marinade: In small bowl, whisk together 1/3 cup
reduced sodium soy sauce, 3 tablespoons Asian fish sauce, 2
teaspoons grated lime zest, 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice,
2 tablespoons minced or grated peeled fresh ginger, 3
tablespoons packed dark brown sugar, 2 teaspoons minced
fresh garlic, 1 teaspoon five-spice powder, and 1 minced