Vietnamese Chicken Wings with Gorgonzola Dip
- Yield: servings
- 4pounds Chicken Wings (whole wing in tack)
- Vietnamese BBQ Sauce:
- 1/4cup Garlic Chili Sauce (found at Asian markets or specialty grocery stores)
- 1/2cup Coconut milk
- -- 1c. Orange juice (w/pulp)
- 1tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1/4teaspoon Liquid Smoke
- 1/4cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1tablespoon Corn Starch
- Szechuan Gorgonzola Dip:
- -- 1c. Mayonnaise
- 1/2cup Sour Cream
- 1/4cup Gorgonzola Cheese
- 1/4cup Buttermilk
- 1tablespoon Hoisin Sauce
- 2teaspoons Lime Juice
- Cucumber Salad:
- -- 3Lg Cucumbers
- 1-- med. Red Onion
- 1/4cup Mirin (or white wine vinegar)
- 1tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 1bunch Cilantro (rough chopped)
- -- Salt and Pepper
Chicken Wing Preparations
1. Place whole chicken wings on metal skewers going through the thickest parts on both the wing and the tip. Arrange skewers on a cookie tray (one that will fit into the fridge). Place in fridge until BBQ sauce has cooled.
2. In a medium sauce pan place all BBQ sauce ingredients, except the orange juice and cornstarch, together. In a small bowl whisk together the orange juice and the cornstarch creating a slurry.
3. Heat the sauce ingredients to a low simmer and add the cornstarch orange juice slurry. The sauce will thicken almost immediately set aside and let cool to room temperature.
4. Pull chicken from fridge and with just using half of the cooled BBQ sauce brush all sides of the chicken. Place chicken back in the fridge for 30 minutes. (While you wait begin to make the salad and dipping sauce)
5. Preheat oven to 400. Pull chicken and give another generous coating of sauce-still leaving some sauce for basting later.
6. Cook chicken in 8-10 minute intervals basting generously. Check temperature after each basting. Pull chicken once the internal temperature reaches 150, baste with any remaining BBQ sauce.
Szechuan Gorgonzola Dip Preparation
1. In a medium bowl combine mayo, sour cream, hoisin and lime juice. If the mixture is too thick add some buttermilk (you want this dip to be the consistency of a creamy ranch dressing).
2. Fold in the gorgonzola crumbles, taste (adjust with salt and pepper if necessary) and chill until ready to serve.
Cucumber Salad Preparation
1. Peel cucumbers, cut length wise and scoop out the seeds. Slice the cucumber on an angle in thin slices.
2. Cut ends off red onion, trim off skin and slice in half length wise. Make very thin slices running along the length of the onion.
3. Place onion and cucumber in a large bowl with the mirin, sesame oil and 2 tbsp cilantro. Mix together and taste. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
Brining it all together:
1. Line a large platter with the cucumber salad leaving room for a small bowl.
2. In a small serving bowl place gorgonzola dip (garnish with cilantro if you would like) and place on serving platter.
3. Arrange cooked, skewered wings on top and serve