Vidalia Onion-Tomato Salad
- Yield: 5 to 6 servings
- 4-- ripe tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1-- jumbo Vidalia onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1/4teaspoon fres or dried herbs (parsley, chives, basil and dill weed)
- -- Celery salt, to taste
- -- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Vinaigrette Dressing:
- 3/4cup olive oil, (or 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/2 cup corn, safflower, or soy oil)
- 1/2teaspoon dry mustard
- 1teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1cup wine vinegar
- 1/4teaspoon sugar
- 1/2teaspoon salt, or to taste
- -- Pepper to taste
- To prepare the salad: On the bottom of a 13×9 pan or large bowl, spread onion rings. Cover with tomato slices in a single layer. Sprinkle tomatoes with herbs and seasonings. Cover and refrigerate. Let chill for at least 3 hours.
- Vinaigrette dressing is very good with this recipe and can be added before you chill.
- To prepare the dressing: Combine oil, vinegar, mustard (both), sugar, salt and pepper in a screw top jar and shake to combine. Any unused Vinaigrette dressing can be refrigerated until ready to use. If possible, bring to room temperature before serving.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Newnan Junior Service League’s A Taste of Georgia; Another Serving (Junior Service League, Newnan, Ga., 1994).