Vidalia Onion Panzanella
- Yield 8 servings
This salad of sweet vidalia onions, roma tomatoes and artichoke hearts is tossed with a delicious vidalia onion vinaigrette dressing.
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 baguette, torn in 1-inch pieces, lightly toasted, about 4 cups
- 6 yellow or red Roma tomatoes, diced
- Salt, pepper and sugar
- 8 canned artichoke hearts, quartered
- 1 Vidalia onion, peeled and sliced in 1/4-inch rings
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chervil or 1 tablespoon dried
- 1 tablespoon whole tarragon leaves
- 1 tablespoon chives, snipped into 1/2-inch lengths
- To prepare the vinaigrette: In small bowl, whisk together vinegar, honey, mustard, salt and pepper. Whisk in oil. Makes 2/3 cup.
- To prepare the salad: Thoroughly rub inside of large wooden salad bowl with garlic clove. Discard garlic. Add toasted bread. Top bread with tomatoes. Season with salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar. Add artichokes and onion. Add chervil, tarragon and chives; toss lightly. Add vinaigrette and let sit at least 15 minutes before serving, tossing occasionally.