Vidalia Onion and Rice Casserole
- Yield 8 servings
Spinach, vidalia onions and sharp cheddar cheese star in this tasty rice casserole.
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus more for dish
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, minced
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 package frozen spinach, thawed, drained and chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups shredded extra sharp Cheddar, plus extra for top
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Butter a large casserole dish. In a large pan over medium-high heat, sauté onions with 2 tablespoons of butter and cayenne until translucent. Add the spinach and cook for 3 minutes. Set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together milk and eggs. Add the cheese, rice, parsley, thyme, basil and spinach mixture. Combine well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into prepared casserole dish and top with extra shredded cheese. Bake for 30 minutes. Serve piping hot.
Recipe courtesy of the Vidalia Onion Committee