- 1cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 3/4cups self-rising flour
- 1pinch salt
- 2tablespoons warm water
- 2cups lightly sweetened whipped cream
- 2 to 3cups small strawberries, rinsed, hulled and sliced
- 1/4cup powdered sugar for dusting top of cake
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease 2 (8-inch) cake pans with butter and line bottom of each with a circle of wax paper.
- Using a hand-mixer, cream together butter and sugar until well mixed. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift flour and salt over the creamed mixture. Add warm water and beat together until well mixed. Batter should be thick, light and creamy.
- Divide cake mixture evenly between cake pans. Bake about 18 to 20 minutes, until cakes are done in the centers. Remove from oven. Turn cake layers out onto cooling racks until completely cool.
- Using a serrated knife split each cake horizontally. Use 3 layers for this cake. (Wrap and store the remaining layer for later in the week when you want to make strawberry shortcakes for two.)
- Place one layer on cake stand or cake plate and cover with half the sweetened whipped cream. Top with half the strawberries. Add second cake layer and press down slightly. Spread remaining whipped cream over cake and top with remaining sliced berries.
- Place third cake layer on top of berries pressing down slightly. Dust top with powdered sugar. Place in refrigerator to chill until ready to serve. This cake is best assembled a couple of hours before serving. To serve, cut into wedges with additional dusting of powdered sugar if desired.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 360
- Fat 24g
- Cholesterol 125mg
- Sodium 260mg
- Carbohydrate 33g
- Fiber 1g
- Protein 4g