Very Berry Bread
- Yield 16 servings
Strawberries and blueberries star in this delicious quick bread.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
- 1 1/2 cups plus 3 to 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 -- eggs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half or non-dairy topping
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, chopped
- 6 ounces fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350F. Mix flour, baking powder and salt together and set aside. Beat butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar in a bowl using an electric mixer until blended. Beat in eggs, then flour mixture. Stir in half-and-half and vanilla. Fold in berries.
- Spoon batter evenly into two greased 5×9-inch loaf pans and sprinkle with 3 to 4 tablespoons sugar. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool slightly, then remove from pans. You may also bake in muffin cups but adjust baking time.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Joseph Kushner Hebrew Academy’s The Kosher Palette II(Livingston, New Jersey, 2006).