Veloute of Haricots Verts with Peppers and Ham (Green Bean Soup with Peppers and Ham)
- Yield servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 bell peppers (mix of red, orange, or yellow), seeded and chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 pound haricots verts (fresh or frozen)
- 6 cups water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons creme fraeche
- 3 ounces low-salt boiled ham, cut into small dice
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh parsley
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and saute until fragrant and softened, about two minutes. Add the peppers and saute another minute. Add the potatoes, haricots verts, and water, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Carefully transfer the cooked vegetables to a blender and add just enough of the cooking liquid to blend to the desired consistency. Season to taste.
- This soup may be served warm or chilled. Before serving, add the creme fraiche and stir well. Garnish with the ham and parsley and serve.
From The French Women Don’t Get Fat Cookbook/Reprinted courtesy of Simon & Schuster, Inc.