- Yield 6 servings
Try these delicious stuffed tomatoes for a light and healthy lunch or dinner.
- 6 large ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/4 cups shredded provolone or mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- -- Paprika
- Cut a slice from the top of each tomato; discard slices. Scoop out the tomato pulp and reserve. Set the tomato shells aside.
- Saute the onion and green pepper in the margarine in a large skillet until tender. Stir in the rice, corn, tomato pulp, salt and pepper. Simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of the cheese and olives. Remove from the heat.
- Spoon the rice mixture into the tomato shells. Place the stuffed tomatoes in a 9×13-inch baking dish. Pour in enough water to reach a 1/4-inch depth. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup cheese and paprika over the tops of the tomatoes. Spoon any remaining rice mixture into a separate baking dish and bake alongside the stuffed tomatoes.
- Bake at 375F for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Parkersburg’s Everything But The Entree (the Junior League of Parkersburg, West Virginia, 1999).