- Yield 8 servings
This deceptively easy recipe boasts lots of flavor and color using an irresistible combination of fresh vegetables and spices.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 -- red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 -- (16-ounce) package yellow rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 -- (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 -- (10-ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- In a large pot, heat oil and saute onion, red pepper, mushrooms and garlic about 5 to 7 minutes. Add rice and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until rice is done. Stir in tomato, black beans, peas, paprika and basil until well heated.
Note: This dish can accommodate a variety of vegetables, as well as a potpourri of beans, corn and fresh herbs. Rinse beans to lower sodium.