Vegetarian Stuffed Sweet Peppers
- Yield: 4 servings
- 4-- green bell peppers
- 1-- (14-ounce) package instant brown rice
- 1-- (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1-- (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1-- (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- -- Breadcrumbs (optional)
- -- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cut the top off each bell pepper, reserving the tops. Remove the seeds and membranes from the bell peppers. Chop the edible portion of the reserved tops and set aside.
- Parboil the bell peppers in a saucepan in boiling water for 5 minutes or just until tender; drain. Prepare the rice using package directions. Add the reserved chopped bell pepper, beans, and undrained tomatoes to the rice and mix well.
- Arrange the bell peppers cut side up in a baking dish. Fill each bell pepper with some of the rice mixture. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and cheese. Spoon the remaining rice mixture into the baking dish. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Maryland Dietetic Association’s Explore the Tastes of Maryland; From the Mountains to the Sea (Maryland Dietetic Association, Brooklandville, Maryland, 2002).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 671
- Fat 11g
- Cholesterol 16mg
- Sodium 866mg
- Carbohydrate 121mg
- Fiber 17g
- Protein 21g
- Calcium 95mg