Vegetarian Spinach Lasagna
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1cup chopped onion
- 1/2pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can Italian-style tomatoes, drained and chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1teaspoon dried basil
- 1teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (6-ounce) package lasagna noodles
- 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 2cups part-skim ricott cheese
- 1large egg white, slightly beaten
- 1 (8-ounce) package shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, saute the onion, mushrooms and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, tomatoes, salt, pepper, basil, oregano and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the bay leaf, and set the tomato mixture aside.
- Cook the lasagna noodles according to package directions omitting oil and salt. Drain well; set aside.
- Combine the spinach, ricotta cheese and egg white, mixing well; set aside. Spread one-third of the reserved tomato mixture in the bottom of a 13x9x2-inch baking pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Layer half of the lasagna noodles and then half of the spinach mixture. Top with one-third of the tomato mixture and half of the cheese. Top with remaining lasagna noodles, spinach mixture, tomato mixture and cheese in that order. Cover and bake for 40 minutes; uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 321
- Fat 11g
- Saturated Fat 7g
- Cholesterol 39mg
- Sodium 372mg
- Carbohydrate 34g
- Fiber 5g
- Protein 24g