Vegetarian Red Beans and Rice
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 45 mins
- Cook 30 mins
This vegetarian dish is sure to please even the heartiest appetite.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 -- green pepper, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 -- garlic clove, minced
- 2 -- (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 -- (15-ounce) cans red beans, thoroughly rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- -- hot cooked white rice
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion, pepper, celery and garlic until tender. Add water to the sauteed vegetables if necessary, but use the oil initially to enhance the flavors. Add the tomato sauce, red beans, salt and hot pepper sauce. Simmer for 1/2 hour or more. Remove 1/2 cup of the beans and mash to paste. Add paste to bean mixture and stir until liquid is thickened. Serve hot over white rice.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Springfield, Missouri, Inc.’s Women Who Can Dish It Out (Springfield, Missouri, 1997).