- Yield 8 servings
If IBS has your stomach in knots, try this tasty vegetarian recipe.
- 1/2 cup long-grain converted rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 package extra-firm tofu, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1-1/2 cup grated peeled carrots
- 1/2 cup gluten-free dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded lactose-free mozzarella cheese or shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free hot pepper sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, combine rice and water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until liquid has been absorbed and rice is tender. Remove from heat.
- Stir in tofu, carrots, bread crumbs, cheese, soy sauce, ginger and hot pepper sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mash until thoroughly combined. Shape into 8 same-size patties.
- In a medium nonstick skillet, cook patties for 3 to 5 minutes per side or until heated through.
Excerpted from The Complete IBS Health & Diet Guide by Dr. Maitreyi Raman, Angela Sirounis, Jennifer Shrubsole © 2011 Robert Rose Inc. www.robertrose.ca. Reprinted with permission. All rights reserved.