Vegetarian Chili from “The Supernatural Kids”
- Yield 8 servings
This vegetarian chili has a lot of ingredients, but that’s what makes it special.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 medium size carrots, diced
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Tamari soy sauce
- 1 cup corn kernels (fresh, canned or frozen)
- 1 cup cooked kidney beans
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1 cup cooked pinto beans
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- Sliced green onions, sour cream and/or grated Cheddar cheese
- Begin by using a large, heavy-bottomed stockpot. When butter is melted and the oil is heated, sauté the onions and garlic until softened. Stir in celery and continue sautéing. Next add the bell pepper and sauté until peppers are soft. Add the carrots and continue sautéing.
- Next add in the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Stir in ground cumin, oregano, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce and Tamari soy sauce. Cover with a lid, lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Finally, add the remaining ingredients (corn and beans) and continue cooking for about 10 minutes more, allowing all ingredients to blend. Stir in the cilantro and add salt and pepper if needed.
Reprinted with permission from Nancy Mehagian’s The Supernatural Kids Cookbook (Huqua Press, 2011).