Vegetable Lentil Soup
- Yield: 12 servings
- 3cups water
- 1cup green or brown lentils
- 6cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1cup chopped, seeded, peeled tomatoes
- 3/4cup peeled cubed thin-skinned potatoes (red, white or Yukon Gold)
- 1medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1medium carrot, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4cup chopped cilantro
- Grated zest of 1/4 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/3teaspoon pepper
- Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan and stir in the lentils. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes or just until the lentils are tender. Drain and set aside.
- Combine the chicken broth, tomatoes, potatoes, onion, celery, carrot and garlic in a large soup pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the cumin seeds and coriander. Simmer for 15 minutes longer.
- Stir in the lentils, cilantro, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper just before serving. Serve the soup hot.
- Garnish each serving with chopped cilantro and pass slices of lemon or lime to squeeze into the soup.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Palo Alto Auxiliary for Children, Tastes, Tales and Traditions (the Palo Alto auxiliary for Chidren, 2005)