- Yield 12 servings
Spinach and broccoli fill this vegetarian lasagna.
- 2 cups chopped fresh broccoli florets
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced peeled carrots
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups skim milk
- dash nutmeg
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat cottage cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 12 lasagna noodles
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a large pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, saute broccoli, carrots, onions, red bell pepper and garlic over medium heat until tender, about 7 minutes; set aside.
- Place flour in a medium saucepan. Gradually add milk, stirring with a wire whisk until blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook 5 mintues, or until thickened, stirring constantly. Add nutmeg, Parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper. Cook 1 more minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in spinach. Reserve 1/2 cup of mixture and set aside.
- Combine cottage cheese and mozzarella; stir well.
- Meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles according to package directions, omitting any oil and salt. Drain.
- Spread a thin layer of spinach mixture in the bottom of a 13x9x2-inch baking dish coated with nonstick spray. Arrange 4 lasagna noodles over spinach mixture; top with half the cottage cheese mixture, half the vegetable mixture, and half the remaining spinach mixture. Repeat layers, ending with remaining noodles. Spread reserved 1/2 cup spinach mixture over noodles. Cover and bake 35 minutes, until bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.