Vegetable Hero with Navy Bean Pesto
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 (16-ounce) can navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, halved and juiced
- 1teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 3 to 5tablespoons water
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1 zuccini, thinly sliced lengthwise (6-ounces)
- 1 eggplant, thinly sliced lengthwise (8 ounces)
- 1 yellow squash, thinly sliced lengthwise (6 ounces)
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- 1cup loosely packed spinach leaves
- 1 baguette or loaf Italian bread, sliced in half
- To make pesto: Heat olive oil in a nonstick skillet over high heat. Add garlic and saute 3 to 5 minutes or until light brown. Remove from heat.
- Place remaining ingredients, including 3 tablespoons water, in a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Process until smooth and creamy. Add additional water, if necessary, to make dip creamy. Makes about 2 cups.
- To make sandwich: Steam zucchini, eggplant and yellow squash over boiling water for 3 to 5 minutes or microwave them in a microwave proof dish, covered, for 2 to 3 minutes on high power. Alternatively, vegetables may be grilled or broiled approximately 2 inches from a flame or heating element for 2 to 3 minutes total cooking time. Vegetables should be tender but al dente.
- Spread 1 cup Navy Bean Pesto evenly over the cut side of the bottom of the bread loaf. Layer zucchini, yellow squash, and eggplant over pesto. Layer thinly sliced red onions and tomatoes over the cooked vegetables. Top vegetables with the spinach leaves. Spread remaining 1 cup Navy Bean Pesto on the cut side of the top of the bread loaf and place it atop sandwich, pressing lightly. Cut crosswise in 4 pieces.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 480
- Fat 9g
- Cholesterol 2mg
- Sodium 1028mg
- Carbohydrate 84g
- Protein 19g