Vegetable Chow Mein
- Yield 4 servings
A classic stir-fry noodle dish.
Toss in any variety of fresh vegetables and slices of left over roast chicken or steak for a hearty one dish meal.
- 1/2 pound fresh egg noodles or 3 ounce dried
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1 zucchini, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add noodles and boil 2 minutes. Drain and rinse well with cold water. Place in a bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon oil.
- To prepare sauce, combine all ingredients and stir well.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick pan until very hot. Add onion and red bell pepper and sauté until just tender, 2 minutes. Add zucchini and mushrooms and continue to stir-fry until golden brown, 5 minutes. Transfer vegetables to a bowl.
- Reheat pan until very hot. Add remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Add ginger and garlic and sauté several seconds. Add noodles and stir-fry until heated through, 5 minutes. Return vegetables to pan, add sauce and toss until noodles are well combined and heated through. Transfer to a warmed platter and serve immediately.
Recipe by Farina Kingsley of Farina’s Asian Pantry