Vegetable Breakfast Tarts
- Yield: 4 servings
- 4large eggs, beaten
- 2tablespoons low-fat milk
- 3/4cup chopped broccoli florets, blanced
- 3/4cup California Black Ripe Olives, halved
- 1/2cup red onion, chopped
- 1medium Russet potato, peeled and grated
- 1tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Mix in broccoli, olives and red onions. Season with salt and black pepper to taste and set aside.
- Drain out all of the water from the grated potatoes by pressing over a fine mesh strainer. Place into a large mixing bowl, toss with flour and season with salt and pepper to taste. Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over high heat. For each potato cake crust, scoop potato mixture using a quarter-cup measure and place into pan. Pat down with tongs or a spatula into a 5-inch cake. Turn heat down to medium and cook for approximately 2 minutes on each side until golden. Repeat to create 4 potato crusts.
- Transfer cooked potato cakes to a preheated nonstick standard (4-inch) muffin top pan, lightly pressing each into its own indentation. Fill each crust with a heaping 1/3 cup of egg and olive mixture. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until egg is set. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly. Use an offset spatula to remove from pan and serve warm or room temperature.
Recipe courtesy of California Olive Committee