- Yield: 12 servings
- 1envelope dry yeast
- 2cups warm (110 degree) water
- 2cups semolina flour
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1small zucchini
- 4cups unbleached flour
- 1/4cup olive oil
- 1tablespoon salt
- Combine the yeast, water and semolina flour in a large bowl. Whisk until creamy. Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm, draft-free area for 1 hour.
- Roast the bell peppers and zucchini under the broiler until charred on all sides, turning occasionally. Wrap in paper towels and place in a paper bag until cooled. Remove the charred skins, seed the peppers and chop the vegetables.
- Add 1 cup of unbleached flour, olive oil, salt and roasted vegetables to the yeast mixtue and mix well. Stir in the remaining unbleached flour 1/2 cup at a time to form a soft dough. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface until it can hold its shape, adding a few tablespoons of flour, if necessary. Cover the dough with a towel and let rise in a warm draft-free area for 2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch down the dough and shape into two loaves. Place in 2 greased and floured loaf pans. Bake at 375F for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Boca Raton’s Savor the Moment (Junior League of Boca Raton, Fla., 2000)