- 2tablespoons canola oil
- 1large onion, diced
- 2large parsnips, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 3large carrots, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 8cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 2sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 2/3cup barley (uncooked)
- 3cups baby kale (or spinach), stems trimmed and chopped
- 14.5ounces can small white beans (navy beans), drained and rinsed
- 10ounces package frozen peas
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large stockpot on high heat and add onion, parsnips, and carrots, and cook until lightly browned and softened, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds more.
- Add broth, and then potatoes, uncooked barley, and herbs and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for about 50 minutes, or until barley is tender.
- Remove and discard bay leaf and rosemary stems.
- With an immersion blender, pulse soup about 10 times, or until desired consistency is achieved.
- Alternatively, remove about 2 cups of the solids and liquid and puree them in a blender. Add pureed mixture back into the pot.
- Add drained beans, kale and peas, and simmer for another 10 minutes, or until peas are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
This recipe originally appeared as Heart-Smart Bean and Barley Vegetable Soup on Cravingsomethinghealthy.com.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 263
- Fat 4g
- Sodium 337mg
- Carbohydrate 50g
- Sugars 9g
- Protein 9g