Vegetable au Gratin
- Yield 4 to 6 servings
Veggies smothered with a white sauce and cheese makes a vegetarian entrée or an outstanding side.
- 4 large red potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), sliced
- 3/4 pound fresh green beans, ends snapped
- 1 pound yellow squach, sliced
- -- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups shredded reduced fat sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Cook potatoes, green beans and squash in a little water in microwave or on stove until crisp tender.
- Spread potatoes in the bottom of a 2-quart oblong casserole coated with nonstick cooking spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper and 1 cup cheese. Top with green beans. Layer squash and peas on top.
- In a small pot, combine milk and flour, stirring, over medium heat until thickened. Pour evenly over the top of layered veggies. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese. Bake 20 minutes or until heated through.