Vegetable and White Bean Pasta
- Yield 4 servings
Here's a vegetarian dinner that's easy on the wallet.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces (6 ounces)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces multigrain or regular penne pasta
- 2 (15.5-ounce) can navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium high heat until hot. Add onions and bell peppers; cook 2 minutes. Add zucchini and garlic, cook 3 to 4 minutes or until zucchini begins to lightly brown, using two utensils (as you would a stir fry) to toss frequently. Add tomatoes and oregano. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until onions are tender about 15 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat, stir in remaining 1 tablespoon oil, salt and black pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. During the last minute of cooking, add beans. Drain and place on platter, top with tomato mixture and sprinkle with Parmesan. Makes about 6 cups.
Recipe by Nancy Hughes.