Vegan Sauteed Slivered Brussels Sprouts Over Wild Rice Cakes
- Yield 4 servings
Heightened flavors and a vibrant presentation make this dish a real star. It is doubtful there will be any leftover, but if so, chill the shredded Brussels sprouts, dress with balsamic vinaigrette and serve as a memorable side dish.
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, bottoms and outer 500g leaves trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup firm or extra-firm silken tofu
- 2 cups cooked mixed wild and brown rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon minced Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh bread crumbs
- canola oil
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, lightly toasted
Preheat oven to 200 F
1. Finely slice sprouts about 1⁄16-inch thick. Separate slices into shreds and set aside.
2. Place a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and let pan get hot. Add 1 tbsp of the olive oil and tip pan to coat. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, 3⁄4 tsp of the salt and mustard and cook, stirring often, until onions are golden and caramelized, about 20 minutes.
3. In a blender, purée tofu until smooth. In a bowl, gently fold together puréed tofu and rice. Mix in chives, basil, parsley, black pepper and remaining 1⁄2 tsp of salt. Place bread crumbs in a shallow bowl and, using a tablespoon, drop rice mixture into bread crumbs, patting gently to form a cake. Press additional crumbs on top and use a small spatula to transfer cake to a plate lined with waxed paper. Repeat with remaining rice mixture.