Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake with a Hint of Chocolate
- Yield servings
Here’s a vegan cheesecake-like version of pumpkin pie that offers a subtle chocolate twist with each bite.
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1 -- (9-inch) natural pastry crust, preferably whole grain
- 1 -- (12.3-ounce) container extra-firm silken tofu
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese
- 2/3 cup natural granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, or more, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups well-baked, coarsely mashed sugar pumpkin or butternut squash
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Combine the chocolate chips and walnuts in a food processor and pulse on and off until finely chopped. Scatter the chocolate chip-walnut mixture evenly over the bottom of the pie crust and set aside.
- Combine half of the tofu, half the cream cheese, and half of the sugar in the container of a food processor and process until smoothly pureed. Pour into the pie crust and smooth down with a cake spatula.
- Combine the pumpkin or squash pulp in the food processor with the remaining tofu, cream cheese, and sugar, along with the cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. Process until smoothly pureed, then pour into the pie crust over the plain tofu layer. Smooth down with a cake spatula.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until the mixture is set and the crust is golden. Let the pie cool to room temperature. Cut into 6 or 8 wedges to serve.