Vegan Pineapple Lime Muffins
- Yield 12 servings
This recipe is citrusy with lime, caramely with brown sugar and is one that everyone will love. It's vegan too!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup large-flake (old-fashioned) rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1 cup vanilla-flavored non-dairy milk (soy, almond, rice, hemp)
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 cup packed vegan light brown sugar or Sucanat
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 can crushed pineapple, well drained
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, whole wheat pastry flour, oats, ginger, baking powder, baking soda, allspice and salt.
- In blender, process flax seeds, milk, lime zest and lime juice for 1 minute or until thickened and frothy. Add brown sugar and oil; process for 2 minutes or until well blended and frothy. Stir in pineapple.
- Add the pineapple mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just blended.
- Divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-28 minutes or until tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in a pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then transfer to the rack to cool.
Reprinted with permission from 150 Best Vegan Muffin Recipes by Camilla V. Saulsbury, Robert Rose Inc.