Vegan Pineapple Lime Muffins
- Yield: 12 servings
- 1cup all-purpose flour
- 1cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4cup large-flake (old-fashioned) rolled oats
- 2teaspoons ground ginger
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 1teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 2tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1cup vanilla-flavored non-dairy milk (soy, almond, rice, hemp)
- 2teaspoons grated lime zest
- 2tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1cup packed vegan light brown sugar or Sucanat
- 1/2cup vegetable oil
- 1can crushed pineapple, well drained
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, whole wheat pastry flour, oats, ginger, baking powder, baking soda, allspice and salt.
- In blender, process flax seeds, milk, lime zest and lime juice for 1 minute or until thickened and frothy. Add brown sugar and oil; process for 2 minutes or until well blended and frothy. Stir in pineapple.
- Add the pineapple mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just blended.
- Divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-28 minutes or until tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in a pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then transfer to the rack to cool.
Reprinted with permission from 150 Best Vegan Muffin Recipes by Camilla V. Saulsbury, Robert Rose Inc.