Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
- Yield 4 servings
This vegan dish stars whole wheat pasta, and hearty mushrooms.
- 4 ounces whole-wheat fettuccine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2/3 cup plain soy milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Cook the fettuccine according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat and cook onions 2 minutes or until translucent. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds longer. Add the mushrooms, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally 5 to 6 minutes, until they release their juices.
- Sprinkle flour over the mushroom mixture and stir to combine. Add wine, tomato paste and soymilk. Cook stirring until thickened.
- Toss with the fettuccine and sprinkle parsley over all.
Recipe inspired by University of New Hampshire Dining Services, Durham, N.H., courtesy of the Mushroom Council’s Mushroom Channel