Vegan Chocolate Cheesecake
Note: Veggie Galaxy suggests Taza brand chocolate, but another brand of vegan chocolate will work. Substitution might slightly affect the cooking time and texture.
- Graham Cracker Crust
- 3cups Nabisco graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2cup + 2 tablespoons Florida Crystals cane sugar
- 3/4cup + 2 tablespoons Earth Balance buttery sticks or buttery spread
- Taza Chocolate Cheesecake Batter
- 1 1/2pounds Toffuti Better Than Cream Cheese
- 1 1/4cups Florida Crystals cane sugar
- 1/4cup cornstarch
- 1 1/4teaspoons salt
- 1tablespoon + 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 1cup + 3 tablespoons coconut milk (preferably Thai Kitchen)
- 3cups Taza chocolate (60%), chopped
Graham Cracker Crust:
- Combine graham cracker crumbs and sugar in a large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Melt Earth Balance and pour into graham cracker crumb/sugar mixture. Stir with a fork to incorporate melted Earth Balance into graham cracker crumbs.
- Take a 10 inch spring form pan and grease with Earth Balance or a vegan brand non-stick spray. Pour graham cracker crumb mixture into spring form pan. Press firmly to pack crumb mixture onto the bottom and up the sides.
Taza Chocolate Cheesecake Batter:
- Preheat oven to 325F. Measure Florida Crystals cane sugar, cornstarch and salt into a small bowl and mix thoroughly to combine, making sure there are no lumps of cornstarch.
- Place Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese into a mixing bowl and mix on medium speed until cream cheese looks smooth and there are no visible lumps. With mixer still running, slowly add sugar/cornstarch mixture to cream cheese in bowl. Mix for a minute or so, then stop mixer and thoroughly scrape the bowl. Increase to medium high speed and slowly drizzle in vanilla extract, continuing to mix until light and fluffy, about 4-5 minutes.
- Measure coconut milk into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add chopped chocolate, stirring until completely melted, smooth and lump-free.
- With mixer mixing, pour melted chocolate into cream cheese mixture.
- Mix for 2 minutes, then stop mixer and thoroughly scrape bowl. Mix for an additional 2 minutes, then transfer batter into graham cracker crust-lined springform pan. Smooth out batter with an offset spatula. Batter will be thick and will get thicker as the mixture cools. Place pan into oven and bake for one and a half hours.
Recipe Courtesy of Veggie Galaxy