Vegan Apple-Cranberry-Walnut Cake
- Yield 16 servings
A popular cake at Veggie Planet in Cambridge, Mass.
Most any fruit will work in this cake; sliced peaches, strawberries, and blueberries can all take the place of the cranberries. And as a bonus, the cake lasts and lasts, maybe 10 days wrapped in plastic wrap in the fridge.
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, divided
- 1 cup soy milk
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon or nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups tart minced apples or 3 ripe mashed bananas
- 1 1/4 cups cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375F. Oil or spray a 10-inch cake pan with oil.
- Combine oil, 1 1/4 cups brown sugar and soy milk in a large bowl; stir well.
- In another bowl, combine flour and next eight ingredients (baking powder through walnuts); stir well. Add flour mixture to oil mixture and slowly stir until flour mixture is incorporated; the mixture will be fairly dry. Do not over stir. Transfer batter to prepared pan; sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup brown sugar.
- Bake about 50 minutes to an hour, or until a knife inserted in center is clean. Let cool 15 minutes; remove from pan.
Recipe by Chef Didi Emmons, courtesy of The Soyfoods Council