Vegan Apple-Cranberry-Walnut Cake
- Yield: 16 servings
Most any fruit will work in this cake; sliced peaches, strawberries, and blueberries can all take the place of the cranberries. And as a bonus, the cake lasts and lasts, maybe 10 days wrapped in plastic wrap in the fridge.
- 2/3cup canola oil
- 1 1/2cups brown sugar, divided
- 1cup soy milk
- 2 1/2cups all-purpose flour
- 2teaspoons baking powder
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 2teaspoons cinnamon or nutmeg
- 2teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4cups tart minced apples or 3 ripe mashed bananas
- 1 1/4cups cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375F. Oil or spray a 10-inch cake pan with oil.
- Combine oil, 1 1/4 cups brown sugar and soy milk in a large bowl; stir well.
- In another bowl, combine flour and next eight ingredients (baking powder through walnuts); stir well. Add flour mixture to oil mixture and slowly stir until flour mixture is incorporated; the mixture will be fairly dry. Do not over stir. Transfer batter to prepared pan; sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup brown sugar.
- Bake about 50 minutes to an hour, or until a knife inserted in center is clean. Let cool 15 minutes; remove from pan.
Recipe by Chef Didi Emmons, courtesy of The Soyfoods Council
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 545
- Fat 25g
- Saturated Fat 7.6g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 6.2g
- Monounsaturated Fat 9.1g
- Cholesterol 6mg
- Sodium 949mg
- Carbohydrate 12.7g
- Fiber 2.8g
- Protein 12g