Vegan Ancho Chile and Cherry Tomato Muffins
- Yield: 12 servings
- 1 1/3cups non-dairy milk (soy, almond, rice, hemp)
- 1tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2cup yellow cornmeal
- 1tablespoon baking powder
- 1teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 3/4teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/3cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2cup chopped green onions (scallions)
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a glass measuring cup, combine milk and vinegar. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, ancho chile powder, cumin, baking soda and salt.
- Whisk oil into the milk mixture until well blended. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just blended. Gently fold in tomatoes and green onions.
- Divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until tops are light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 3 minutes, then transfer to the rack to cool slightly. Serve warm.
Reprinted with permission from 150 Best Vegan Muffin Recipes by Camilla V. Saulsbury, Robert Rose Inc.