Veal Meatballs with a Carrot Sauce
- Yield servings
The protein packed meatballs and vitamin rich sauce make this a healthy and delicious meal.
- 1 pound ground veal (you can substitute ground turkey if preferred)
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1 -- egg
- 2-3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- -- salt and pepper
- 1 -- carrot, grated and peeled
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- -- juice of 2 carrots
- -- squeeze of lemon juice
- 3 -- Roma tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
1. In a large bowl, blend together the meat with half of the onion, grated carrot, pine nuts and parsley. Add 1 tablespoon cornstarch and the egg, and mix well with a wooden spoon or your hands. Season with salt and pepper and shape into walnut-sized meatballs using your hands (makes about 15 to 16 according to size).
2. Place remaining cornstarch on a plate and roll the meatballs lightly in it; set aside.
3. In a large thick-bottomed sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and when hot, add the onion. Cook on medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the meatballs and brown them on each side for a few minutes. Add broth, carrot juice, lemon juice and tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and cook uncovered on low to medium heat for 20 minutes.
4. Serve with brown rice or white rice.
Reprinted with permission from Lake Austin Spa Resort.