Veal “Birds” New England
- Yield: 8 servings
- 2pounds veal round, cut 1/4 inch thick
- 2tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1clove garlic, minced
- 1/2teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2tablespoons clarified butter
- 8fluid ounces dry white wine
- 16fluid ounces chicken broth
- 1tablespoon cornstarch
- 2tablespoons cold water
- 3ounces Minced parsley
- Cut veal into 16 even-sized pieces. Pound each piece to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Combine ham, shallots, garlic and rosemary;
- top each veal slice with about 1 tablespoon of the mixture.
- Roll veal around filling and fasten with toothpicks.
- Melt butter in a large frypan over medium heat;
- Add veal rolls and brown quickly.
- Add the wine and simmer a few minutes.
- Add chicken broth; cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove veal birds to a warm platter.
- Rapidly boil broth to reduce to about 1-1/2 cups.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water; stir into hot broth. Cook and stir until slightly thickened.
- Spoon sauce over veal birds;
- sprinkle with minced parsley.
Makes 8 servings.
Cheddar Cheese Grits Soufflés: Cook 1 cup grits as directed on package. Remove from heat and beat in 2 eggs, one at a time. Stir in 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese. Season with a few drops of Tabasco. Turn into eight 2/3-cup or ten 1/2-cup buttered individual soufflé cups or a buttered1-1/2 quart casserole or an 8×2-inch round soufflé baking dish. Bake in a 350F oven 30 minutes for cups and 1 hour for large casserole or baking dish. Makes 8-10 servings.