Vasterbotten Cheese Quiche with Asparagus
- Yield: 6-8 servings
This recipe highlights the delicious nutty, creamy flavor of Swedish Västerbotten cheese. If you are unable to find it a sharp white cheddar will do as a replacement
- 2 1/2cups all purpose flour
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon sugar
- 1cup cold unsalted butter, diced
- 1/4cup ice water
- 1pound asparagus stalks, trimmed into 1-inch pieces
- 1large shallot, finely diced
- 1tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2cups shredded Vasterbotten or sharp white Cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2cups half and half or whole milk
- salt and pepper
For the Crust:
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, salt and sugar. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Slowly drizzle the water down the feed tube and pulse, just until the mixture begins to come together. Remove from the bowl, gathering together any shaggy bits and divide the dough in half. Press each one into a flat disk and wrap in plastic wrap individually. Refrigerate for 1 -2 hours.
For the Filling:
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Remove one of the dough disks from the fridge and reserve the other for another use. Allow the dough to warm up slightly and roll in to a large circle. Line a 9 inch tart or pie tin with the dough and prick the bottom with a fork. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and bake 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow the crust to cool slightly.
- While the crust cools, sauté the asparagus and shallot in the butter over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until the asparagus is crisp tender. Set aside. Sprinkle the cheese on the bottom of the crust. Evenly distribute the asparagus over the top, then season with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, whisk the milk and eggs together. Pour over the cheese and asparagus.
- Return the pie to the oven for an additional 30-35 minutes until the crust and pie are just beginning to brown. Remove and allow to sit at room temperature for 20-30 minutes. Serve immediately.
For more from Maria, visit her at Pink Patisserie.