Vanilla Whoopie Pies
- Yield: 12 pieces
- 1/2cup shortening
- 1cup sugar
- 1 1/2teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4cup champagne or sparkling wine
- 1/2teaspoon baking powder
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/2cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a mixer with a paddle attachment, beat together the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add salt, vanilla, egg, yolk, and champagne to the beaten shortening.
- In a separate bowl, combine the baking powder and baking soda with the flour and add into the mixture in two additions. Mix until just combined.
- Scoop and place onto parchment paper covered sheet pan. Bake for 10-15 minutes until center springs back when pressed.
- Meanwhile prepare your choice of marshmallow filling, mint marshmallow filling, champagne filling or cream cheese filling. Once whoopee pies have finished baking and have been allowed to cool, spread or pipe onto one side of the whoopie pie and top with another to assemble.
Recipe courtesy of the Hanover Inn, Hanover, N.H.