Vanilla Parsnip Puree
- Yield 8 servings
Sweet parsnips and musky vanilla pair beautifully in this side dish from Black Cat Farm Table Bistro in Boulder, Colo.
- 1 1/2 pounds parsnips, peeled and cut into rough 1-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- Water to cover
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place parsnips in a medium saucepan. Cover with water and add garlic. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until parsnips are very soft and water has almost evaporated, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a blender or food processor. Puree until very smooth, about 5 minutes. Return pureed parsnips to pan.
- Combine cream and vanilla in a small pan. Cook over medium heat until cream simmers, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes.
- Strain cream into the parsnip puree and stir to combine well. Stir in salt.
Recipe by Chef Eric Skokan, Black Cat Farm Table Bistro, Boulder, Colo.