Vanilla Parsnip Puree
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1 1/2pounds parsnips, peeled and cut into rough 1-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- Water to cover
- 2/3cup heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- Place parsnips in a medium saucepan. Cover with water and add garlic. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until parsnips are very soft and water has almost evaporated, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a blender or food processor. Puree until very smooth, about 5 minutes. Return pureed parsnips to pan.
- Combine cream and vanilla in a small pan. Cook over medium heat until cream simmers, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes.
- Strain cream into the parsnip puree and stir to combine well. Stir in salt.
Recipe by Chef Eric Skokan, Black Cat Farm Table Bistro, Boulder, Colo.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 136
- Fat 7.5g
- Cholesterol 28mg
- Sodium 89mg
- Carbohydrate 16g
- Fiber 4g
- Protein 1.5g