- Yield: 30-40 servings
- 2cups all-purpose
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4cup sugar
- 3teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2teaspoons almond or orange extract
- 2tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2cup toasted ground almonds or other nuts, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the flour blend, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt in a medium bowl. Blend well with a fork. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together in a mixing bowl on medium speed until doubled in volume and pale yellow, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the vanilla and almond extracts and the oil and beat just to combine. Sprinkle 1⁄3 of the dry ingredients over the egg mixture and fold in. Repeat until all of the flour is incorporated. Fold in the nuts, if using.
- Drop the dough in two lines along the length of the cookie sheet, leaving plenty of space between the logs. Use a spatula to mound the dough up and make the logs narrow (about 2 inches by 8 inches). You may need to repeat a couple of times to form the logs, as the dough will spread somewhat. The dough may also be spooned into a lightly oiled 12 x 51/4-inch biscotti pan or two 81/2 x 41/2-inch loaf pans. Quickly place in the oven.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until light golden on top. Remove from the oven and slide the parchment paper with the biscotti onto a wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the logs to a cutting board and cut diagonally into 1/2-inch slices. Place the biscotti cut side down on the baking sheet and bake 10 to 15 minutes, until dry, turning them halfway through baking. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.
- FOR CHOCOLATE BISCOTTI: Replace 1/4 cup blend with 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder and add as part of the dry ingredients.
- For a festive finish, dip half of each cooled biscotti in 1/2 cup melted chocolate or white chocolate combined with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Decorate with colorful sprinkles. Let harden on wax paper before storing.
–From the book Gluten-Free Makeovers, by Beth Hillson. Reprinted by arrangement with Da Capo Lifelong, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Copyright © 2011.