Vanilla Latte Cupcakes
- Yield: 24-30 servings
- 1 3/4cups cake flour
- 1 1/4cups all-purpose flour
- 2cups sugar
- 1tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4teaspoon salt
- 1cup butter, softened
- 2teaspoons instant coffee
- 1/3cup hot water
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1tablespoon vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract works as well)
- 1cup half-and-half
- 3cups whipping cream
- 1teaspoon instant coffee
- 3/4cup powdered sugar
- 3tablespoons white chocolate instant pudding
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line 24 to 30 cups of cupcake pans with liners.
- Sift together flours, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. On low speed, add butter, mixing until butter is well coated with flour.
- In a measuring cup or small bowl, add coffee to hot water and stir to dissolve. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, vanilla, half-and-half. Whisk in coffee.
- Add wet ingredients to flour mixture, one-third at a time, scraping bowl before each addition. Beat until ingredients are incorporated, but don’t over mix. Fill liners two-thirds full.
- Bake 17 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean with just a couple crumbs. Let cool in pans 10 minutes, then remove to racks to cool completely.
- When cupcakes are completely cool, make frosting. Place cream, coffee and powdered sugar in a large mixing bowl and mix with a mixer on low speed until coffee dissolves. Mix on medium high-high speed until mixture starts to thicken, then add instant pudding and continue mixing until stiff peaks form.
- Spread or pipe frosting onto cupcakes.
Note: I like to sprinkle with raw sugar and espresso candies as garnish. And if I have some on hand I will top with a chocolate-covered coffee bean. You can skip the pudding addition to the topping if serving soon. The pudding helps stabilize the whipped cream and it lasts a week or longer if you use it, plus the white chocolate flavor adds a nice creamy flavor. This frosted cupcake also freezes very well!